Pages

Wednesday 16 June 2010

Air Conditioning units with R22

Whilst on site with a Mechanical and Electrical Consultant we inspected some Air conditioning units which had Ozone depleting HCFC compound R22 as the refrigerant. It is now Illegal to use virgin HCFC’s but recycled HCFC’s can be used up until 2015.

The AC units will require annual maintenance and it is expected that although the units can be topped up with recycled R22, the components of the AC units will not be available as the manufacture of them ceased in 1998. This could potentially be a substantial cost for the tenant/occupier of a property if the units are not in repair at the termination date. R22 can be stockpiled to service existing units and systems but it is envisaged by many to run out before 2015. We recommend that the liability owing to the AC is reviewed and the necessary steps are taken to ensure that tenants are aware their system does or does not contain HCFC’s/R22 refrigerant. The unit will need to be in repair and serviceable at the end of the lease term, if not, they could be liable to replace the system as a whole.

John Atkinson - Chartered Building Surveyor

1 comment:

  1. Maintenance is always on my list, I really need to do maintenance in order to clean the blew of air in my split system air conditioning. I should not just let it damaged on the corner for I really need cool air for my room. The weather outside is warm and I should on my a/c unit in order not to feel warm which will make me mad.

    ReplyDelete